Saturday, August 16, 2008

Customer Service Etiquette

AARP, the website, had a couple of interesting articles regarding customer service. One was about the things you should not say to customer service, and the other was what you should always say.

The what you should say article reminded me of a situation a few weeks ago when I changed over from a satellite dish computer network to Verizon DSL. Due to problems with the my old security system not wanting to leave the premises, I spent literally hours on the phone with Verizon, twice, and then with the security system people trying to rectify the problem and get back on line.

When the conversations ended, a survey appeared regarding the service I received. The second call I had to make, later in the day, lasted for well over an hour and the gentleman just could not get past the security problem. He not only tried to take care of the problem himself, he also called the security company and worked with them, got me a name and number to call, then ended our call.

Misguided Questions

The interesting thing about the survey is that the questions asked would have given this man a bad review. Although he did not solve my problem, he went out of his way to help. Therefore, I gave him high points for service even though he, personally, could not fix the problem.

By that point I had spent at least six hours on the phone that day trying to rectify the glitch and knew I was facing another phone call. I could have poured out my frustration by knocking the tech. But, because of my "what comes around goes around" belief system, I gave him high points for his efforts. I made the next call, and was given excellent service, the problem was alleviated, and I was on line in no time (so to speak).

The articles are worth checking out. The link on the title should get you there.

They are good reminders of how we should treat those who are not always able to "fix" our problem.

No comments: