Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hurricane Ike: Good News, Bad News

As Hurricane Ike slammed into the Houston area, I could not help but be thankful the Corpus Christi area did not take a direct hit. My Texas family members rode out the storm in San Antonio, and will probably head home as soon as possible so my daughter can report to the hospital where she works.

Due to high winds and waves, they may still have received damage to their home, which is located on an island not far from Corpus. I am praying all is well, with little or no damage.

Hurricane Ike was the largest seen in a long time and will affect many millions as it continues to travel onshore, and in the days ahead affect the weather patterns as far north as Detroit and northeast to the Atlantic. It amazes me that a hurricane hitting Texas can affect weather in Detroit and New York, but that is the nature of the weather currents.

I hope few people lost their lives, and the power is restored as swiftly as possible. After our bout with six power outages last year, I understand how frustrating it is when there is no power in the home.

I am sure the hurricane will affect many for days and weeks to come. But for today, I'm just thankful that my family is safe.

No comments: