Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Ailing Teal-Mobile


This photo is actually of the original teal van that Mom and Dad drove for several years. My sister bought one just like it, and that is the one I currently own.

According to the note my mother wrote on the back of the photo, the van was new and I believe the year was 1997. I know my van is a 1997.

Mom and I were on a trip to the U.P., visiting her cousin Sharon who lives along the Lake Huron shoreline. She and her husband have a beautiful house on the lake, along with several cottages on their property they reserve for visiting family and friends.

This cabin was right on the edge of the channel, just a couple of feet from the water. The channel ran into Lake Huron from Cedarville, MI. It had two bedrooms, with a large window in the living room and one in the dining room. We ate our meals at the dining room table while watching the swans glide along the water.

It had to happen sooner than later

The Teal-mobile is ailing, probably on it's last legs. Although I was hoping the van would make it through the winter, it is on the blink, and it appears to be the starter. At eleven-years-old, and almost 150,000 miles, what do we do? Repair or buy?

Dad has a much easier time getting in and out of a van, while I would like to have a smaller car, such as a Chevy Cavalier. I really wanted to keep the van going as long as Dad was around, but now we are faced with quite a dilemma. With his health care costs rising dramatically, an additional car expense is not welcome. Decision time!

Anyway, the Teal-mobile has traveled many miles throughout the years. She has seen much of the United States and has enjoyed every minute. Whether out west, down south, to the north or to the east, many wonderful sight-seeing memories will remain.

What was your favorite vehicle through the years? Did you travel together? If so, where did you go and what wonderful sights did you see?

No comments: