Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day Remembrance


From a late-1940s postcard by the now-defunct ArtVue Post Card Co. of New York, N.Y. Submitted by Wystan Stevens to the Ann Arbor District Library.

Many, many years ago, my parents volunteered my musical services to the VA Hospital in Ann Arbor, MI. I believe I was in junior high school at the time. I remember going from room to room to visit some of the Vets who were patients there, and then playing the accordion for others who were able to join us in a commons room.

After this many years the memories are vague, but I do remember the feeling of satisfaction seeing the smiles and hearing the positive comments from those who were at the hospital. The visit was in the late 1950's, so the patients probably served in WWII or the Korean War.

If there is a VA hospital near you, please take the time to visit those who have served our country, were wounded, and now must stay for varying amounts of time in the hospital. They welcome visitors and would appreciate the company.

No comments: