Monday, June 30, 2008

How to Develop an Attitude of Gratitude

If the only prayer you ever say
in your entire life is thank you,
it will be enough.
- Meister Eckhart


In 2001, I was introduced to the writings of Sarah Ban Breathnach and her Simple Abundance books. I immersed myself into the whole program by reading A Daybook of Comfort and Joy and working through the companion workbook and discovery journal.

Over the next year or so, I purchased several other books in the Simple Abundance series as I reread the original. To say I jumped in with both feet was an understatement.

The collection was everything I needed at the time, and so much more. I was still reeling from a broken relationship six months before, and reading and working through the workbooks allowed me to rediscover my authentic self.

Several years later, I left my church just three weeks after my mother died. Then a year later, I quit my job, and left friends and family to move from Michigan to Tucson, Arizona, only to move back to Michigan a year later to care for my elderly father. During those six years, the one Simple Abundance tool that meant the most to me was The Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude.

The journal opened with an essay explaining the power of gratitude, then listed 150 often-overlooked blessings to get the reader started. Every day, month by month, five lines were listed for the reader to note what they were grateful for that day. Quotes guide the reader along the journey.

For me, the best time to express my thanks for the good things I found that day was just before bedtime. I was then able to go to sleep with positive thoughts in mind. I can tell you from experience there were times when it was difficult to think of one positive word to write down. Keeping the journal by my bed caused me to dig deeper into my day for the right word to express as I gave thanks.

A line in the essay explains what happened to me as I met with my journal night after night during the most trying times. “Once we accept that abundance and lack are parallel realities and that each day we choose – consciously or unconsciously – which world we will inhabit, a deep inner shift in our reality occurs.”

Over time, I felt that deep inner shift. Although the Gratitude Journal was not the only tool I used, it made a profound difference in my life. Whether you are experiencing abundance or lack, consistently expressing thanks to God and the universe will open the gates for greater goodness to come into your life.

The quote at the beginning of this post was the first quote in a simple journal placed in my hands when I needed it most.

You will not need a formal journal to start expressing your thanks. Any notepad or piece of paper will suffice. Consider beginning such a sacred journey today and see what positive changes come into your life.

No comments: