Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Perspective to the Rescue

If you keep on doing what you are doing
you will keep getting what you are getting.

Monday’s post provided a strong lesson in frustration and perspective. Using a quote to start the post, I then wrote the body text. Somewhere along the way, I realized the whole piece would stay left aligned or centered, but I could not in the middle as intended.

I went back to the settings are to see what caused the problem. After all, other posts were okay. In frustration, I finally shut everything down.

Instead of glaring at my computer as if it had become my enemy, I settled in to read a magazine. After a few minutes, the proverbial light bulb came on.

Early in the morning, I had changed some of the settings not realizing how the changes would affect the alignment of the post.

When I began this post, I tested the reset settings and, wallah, my first line stayed centered as intended.

And what did I learn from this, you may ask. Well, when frustrated:

1. Step back from the situation
2. Relax
3. Focus on something else, i.e. reading, TV, taking a walk
4. Allow the solution to come to mind

When I stepped back and allowed my mind to think of other things, the answer arrived. All is well once again in potpourri land.

What situation are you facing where a change of perspective might bring you the answer? Do you have a technique that helps in times of frustration? Feel free to share a comment.

No comments: