Friday, June 27, 2008

Quotes as a Motivational Tool

"Nothing can add more power to your life than concentrating
all of your energies on a limited set of targets."
-Nido Qubien
Author, consultant, motivational speaker


"When we combine Divine Timing with action steps
that honor our soul, things often fall into place."
-Cheryl Richardson
Motivational Coach

I absolutely love quotes! They are kept in a very safe place - my commonplace book.

According to Wikipedia, the commonplace books surfaced in the 15th century. Several famous people who kept commonplace books were Francis Bacon, John Milton, Bronson Alcott, Benjamin Franklin, Mark Twain and Virginia Woolf.

In Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events a number of charcters kept a commonplace book.

By definition they are a way to compile knowledge by writing information into books. I use mine for the numerous quotes I come across. Also I have lists of books to read and movies to see. After six years, I have a surprising number of quotes, although I also have quite a large number cut from various magazines or other places, in a special tin box.

The particular book I use has a quote by Maya Angelou on the front cover, "The desire to reach for the stars is ambitious. The desire to reach hearts is wise."

The quote on the bookmark, also from Ms. Angelou, states: "Women should be tough, tender, laugh as much as possible, and live long lives."

Sometimes I read through several pages, and always my spirit is lifted. For me, quotes are motivational, inspiring, encouraging, and fun to read. Some are humorous, others thoughtful, but if they are boring, they do not make it into my special book.

Every once in a while a duplicate shows up, and I realize I must have needed to read it again.

What favorite quote have you written somewhere? Do you keep a commonplace book? Are you inspired by the words of others?

No comments: