Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Our Annual Ox-Roast Fest

Dad and I spent last Friday and Saturday lunchtime at the Webberville Ox-Roast. The ox-roast began in 1947 (the year a certain someone was born) and has continued to this day.

When I was growing up, my grandparents, who lived in Webberville, would join us every year. At that time, a whole block was utilized with many carnival rides, pony rides, craft sales, tractor pull contest, parade, etc. I remember the numerous rides my brother and I rode, the oxburgers we ate, and the many relatives we saw.

We still saw a few extended family members this year, but the venue was much smaller. In fact, this time there were no rides because of a cancellation by the company that was to provide them. There were surprisingly few people at lunch, but the food was delicious.

As the ox-roast has grown older, so have the rest of us. Most of my family members are gone now, or have moved away. Times have certainly changed, with fewer people attending local functions such as this.

It is sad, in a way, but understandable. Our world was much smaller then, and the family unit was tighter. We didn't have the Disney Worlds and theme parks competing with small town venues. The crowd this weekend were mostly 50's and up.

I'm not sure how much longer they will continue, but I do know, if we are anywhere in the area, we will be there.

No comments: