Sunday, July 25, 2010

Summertime Fun Out of the Sun

It is getting towards the end of July and another year is slipping by very quickly. How is it that the older we get the faster it seems the days, weeks, and years slip by? I've been thinking a lot about relatives who are no longer with us - my mother and both grandmothers have been on my mind a lot lately.

For some reason I am missing those women that were in my life so many years now more than ever before. I want to talk to them about being in my sixties, growing older, hearing stories of their childhood and growing up that I missed before. I want to see them, hear them, hug them! I miss those role models in my life that played such an important part of my growing up years.

I wonder what they would think of today's world - fast paced, electronic, high-tech. The fashions of today versus what they grew up with in the late 1800s and early to mid 1900s. The world has certainly changed over the decades and even centuries. It is unbelievable to me what life could have been like even a century ago, let alone 150 to 200 years ago. I think it would be interesting to at least visit for a few hours just to experience a different time, but I am sure I wouldn't want to live there.

Thankfully, I am living in the age I am. After experiencing the 1950s and all the changes in that decade and the 1960s, here we are in 2010 and I am loving everything I am learning about Internet marketing, blogging, creating websites, and so much more. I feel like I had the best of two worlds. Growing up on a farm in the country in the 1950s certainly gave me very different memories of a time of life that I will never see again,  and the complete opposite of how I live today.


My maternal grandparents lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that many people would have called backwoods even in the 1950s and 60s. It still is to some extent. Compare that to my current world living in a suburb of the state capitol, and you can see what a contrast that is.

Life just keeps recycling itself as far as birth and death, people coming entering and leaving our lives during our life cycle. Some people I really miss, and others I could care less - even being very glad some are no longer in my personal sphere. But, on this day, I miss my Mom and my grandmothers. Looking at their pictures are not enough. If there really is an afterlife, I sure hope I get a chance to them.

How about you? Who do you most miss from the past?

No comments: