Sunday, August 3, 2008

One Ticked Off Postmistress

Well, I did it this time. Stopped at the local post office to mail a package, walked up to the counter, and after the fourth or fifth question, naively asked, "What are you doing, trying to up sell?"

That question hit a hot button with my previously friendly postmistress. I was told in no uncertain terms that they were required to ask these questions and many people realized they needed more than they thought they did when they came in to mail packages.

I asked how long they had been asking all these questions and she responded, "Three years. We used to have fifteen questions we were required to ask, but the postal service has whittled it down to..."

I missed her answer because I was shaking my head and saying, "You're asking too many questions."

She asked me a couple more questions, I paid the required amount, and turned to walk away. The other postal clerk was glaring at me, but so be it. I glared back.

I've been around marketing long enough to know what up selling sounds like and this sure sounded like up selling to me.

Is it up selling or is it customer service? What do you think?

No comments: